Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 101
Questions You NEED To Ask Yourself and Things You NEED to Expect
- Becoming an Expert at ANYTHING takes time. Think of yourself as going into medical school, it is something that you are going to have to devote your time to in order to Master it. That being said, you dont need to make it all the way to Black Belt in order to ENJOY Jiu Jitsu. You just need to understand so you do not become frustrated, that Mastering BJJ is a Lifetime Commitment
- What are you Goals and what do you Intend to get out of learning Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
- Expect to be in Positions and Use Muscles that you are unfamiliar with
- Do I have what it takes? Anybody can learn Jiu Jitsu, thats what makes it so Beautiful. It is so customizable that weak, strong, skinny, big, muscular people can develop and customize their own game.
- Getting to Class is half the battle. JUST TRAIN! You are going to get tapped out by higher and lower ranks. A gooD way to look at this is that you have two aspects of Jiu Jitsu or any combat sport, OFFENSE and DEFENSE. You may get tapped out 100 times in class while your partner is the one on the offensive. The fact is that each time you tap you are improving your defense. I have trained with people that tapped almost constantly their first year or two, then all of a sudden BAM you can no longer tap them. They are just too good at defending. So if you look at this on a scale both aspects balance each other out and everyone learns a different side at a time.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Saved My Life has come up with a well thought out School Database that displays a schools most important information for prospective students. Price and Cost of membership is obviously a concern for most people, however judging a School based on price is a BIG mistake. Make sure to try out a class or two before making a decision, this will give you a good idea of how the classes, people, atmosphere and gym conditions are. Remember... Most of the time you get what you pay for!